ADA 2021: Sotagliflozin Impact in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Highlighted in Special Session

Conference | <b>ADA</b>

While still waiting for regulatory approval, the SCORED and SOLOIST trial have demonstrated the impact of sotagliflozin, a dual SGLT1/2 inhibitor, on patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease or heart failure.

New data from the SCORED and SOLOIST trials presented at the American Diabetes Association’s 81st Scientific Session (ADA 2021) provide even greater insight into the effects of sotagliflozin as well as SGLT2 inhibition in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease or heart failure.

Presented by a slew of leaders in cardiology during a symposium led by Deepak Bhatt, MD, MPH, Executive Director of Interventional Cardiovascular Programs at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, results of the study add to the already impressive knowledge base provided by the SCORED and SOLOIST trials since results were first presented at AHA 2020.

SOLOIST was a multicenter, double-blind trial of patients with type 2 diabetes who were recently hospitalized for worsening heart failure. The trial randomized 1222 patients in a 1:1 ratio to sotagliflozin or placebo. The primary endpoint of the trial was the total number of deaths from cardiovascular causes and hospitalizations and urgent visits for heart failure. Of the 608 patients in the sotagliflozin group, 48.8% received the first dosage before discharge and the remaining 51.2% received the first dose a median of 2 days after discharge.

SCORED was similar in design, but enrolled patients with type 2 diabetes, chronic kidney disease, and at-risk for cardiovascular disease. This trial enrolled 10,584 patients in a 1:1 ratio and patients were followed for a median of 16 months. The primary endpoint of the trial was a composite of the total number of deaths from cardiovascular causes, hospitalizations for heart failure, and urgent visits for heart failure.

For more on the information discussed at ADA 2021, Endocrinology Network reached out to Bhatt and that conversation is the subject of this ADA 2021 House Call.

These data were presented during a session titled “Update on SCORED and SOLOIST Cardiovascular and Kidney Outcomes Trials,” at ADA 2021.