Are people with depression more vulnerable to developing type 2 diabetes (T2D) than those who are not depressed? Are men and women with T2D equally affected by depression? What is the leading cause of death in persons with T2D and depression? See how much you know about the connections between the 2 often debilitating conditions with our 10 true or false statements.
1. Roy T, Lloyd CE. Epidemiology of depression and diabetes: a systematic review. J Affect Disord. 2012 Oct;142 Suppl:S8-21. doi: 10.1016/S0165-0327(12)70004-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23062861
2. Ali S, Stone MA, Peters JL, Davies MJ, Khunti K. The prevalence of co-morbid depression in adults with Type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabet Med. 2006;23:1165-73. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2006.01943.x/abst...
3. Talbot F, Nouwen A. A review of the relationship between depression and diabetes in adults: is there a link? Diabetes Care. 2000;23:1556-62. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11023152
4. Rubin RR, Peyrot M. Was Willis right? Thoughts on the interaction of depression and diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2002;18:173-175. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12112934
5. Lin EH, Rutter CM, Katon W, et al.: Depression and advanced complications of diabetes: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care 2010, 33:264–269. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2809260/
6. Katon W, Sondergaard Pedersen H, Riisgaard Ribe et al. Impact of depresion and diabtetes on risk of dementioa in a national population-based cohort. JAMA Psychiatry. 2015;72: 612–619. DO: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.0082
7. Ciechanowski PS, Katon WJ, Russo JE. Depression and diabetes: impact of depressive symptoms on adherence, function, and costs. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Nov 27;160:3278-85. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11088090
8. Sullivan MD, O’Connor P, Feeney P, et al. Depression Predicts All-Cause Mortality: Epidemiological evaluation from the ACCORD HRQL substudy. Diabetes Care. 2012;35:1708-1715. doi:10.2337/dc11-1791.
9. Salvi V, Grua I, Cerveri G, et al. The risk of new-onset diabetes in antidepressant users – A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLOS One. Published online July 31, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182088