Motivational interviewing delivered by primary care physicians and registered dietitians to the parents of overweight children helps the children lose significant amounts of weight. A phase II study is now recruiting patients to test whether the bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine can reverse advanced type 1 diabetes. Parental factors such as diabetes, hypertension, and high body mass index (BMI) influence the development of these diseases in their children. A simple, intuitive, unified system of delivering insulin to type 1 diabetes patients is now in development that the manufacturer believes requires less time than current alternatives and simultaneously delivers better outcomes.
Motivational Interviewing Plus Dietary Counseling Help Children Lose Weight
• Motivational interviewing and dietary counseling in a primary care physician’s office can help obese children lose weight.
• Motivational interviewing is a client-centered communication style used extensively to modify health behavior and is recommended for counseling pediatric obesity.
• These researchers tested the efficacy of moderate-intensity (4 sessions) motivational interviewing-based counseling and the effect of adding 6 motivational interviewing-based counseling sessions by trained dietitians delivered to parents of 645 overweight youth aged 2 to 8 years.
• Overweight children whose parents received motivational interviewing counseling from their primary care physicians supplemented by counseling by registered dietitians showed a significant reduction in BMI percentile over 2 years as compared with those whose parents received usual care.
• The group that received only the primary care physician counseling showed a slight reduction in BMI.
• The next step is to determine how to train physicians to use motivational interviewing effectively and how best to train registered dietitians and integrate them into primary care settings.